Automatic brightness does not react

Whip

I have a Samsung Book 2 Pro with Windows 11. Automatic brightness is on but it doesn't change unless the light difference is extreme. So if I point a strong flashlight on the camera, the screen does get bright and when I turn it off, it goes back to normal. But if I turn off my room lights, the screen does not dim. I manually dim it and when I turn the light back on it doesn't brighten either.

It used to do this before. I'm thinking its out of sync or something. I imagine it measures light levels and corresponds it with a certain brightness level, I think that table is out of whack. Is there a way to reset its "brightness memory"?

Automatic Brightness Does Not React

Hello Whip,

I understand that you're having trouble with the automatic brightness adjustment on your device. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

### 1. Check Brightness Settings

Ensure that the automatic brightness adjustment is enabled in the settings:

1. Go to Settings > System > Display.
2. Verify that "Change brightness automatically when lighting changes" is turned on.

### 2. Update Display Drivers

Outdated or corrupt display drivers can cause issues with brightness adjustments. Follow these steps to update your display drivers:

1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand the Display adapters section.
3. Right-click on your display driver and select Update driver.
4. Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

### 3. Check for Windows Updates

Sometimes, a Windows update can resolve such issues:

1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
2. Click on Check for updates.
3. Install any available updates and restart your computer if necessary.

### 4. Calibrate the Ambient Light Sensor

The ambient light sensor might need calibration. Refer to your device's user manual for instructions on how to calibrate the sensor.

### 5. Power Options Settings

Ensure that your power plan settings allow automatic brightness adjustment:

1. Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings.
2. Click on Change advanced power settings.
3. Expand the Display section and adjust the brightness settings as needed.

### 6. Run the Power Troubleshooter

Running the Windows Power troubleshooter can detect and fix power-related issues:

1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters.
2. Select Power and run the troubleshooter.

### 7. Check the Ambient Light Sensor

Verify that the ambient light sensor is working correctly by testing it in different lighting conditions. Ensure that it detects changes in light.

### Questions to Consider

To help further diagnose the issue, please answer the following questions:

1. Have you checked if the automatic brightness adjustment is enabled in the display settings?
2. Have you recently updated your display drivers?
3. Are all your Windows updates installed?
4. Have you noticed if the ambient light sensor is responding to changes in lighting conditions at all?
5. Have you checked your power plan settings to ensure they allow automatic brightness adjustment?
6. Have you tried running the Windows Power troubleshooter to see if it detects any issues?
7. Have you ever calibrated the ambient light sensor?

By answering these questions and following the steps provided, we can work together to resolve the issue.

Best regards,
ChatGPT

First time I've seen this and I hate this feature already. If I wanted an answer from stupid chatgpt, I would've asked ChatGPT.

There's an option when you post you can check to not get AI responses.

Make sure your Galaxy Book BIOS and Video Drivers are up to date. If the problem still persists, it's most likely a hardware issue, isn't that a newer model? Might be time to check the warranty...

It's out of warranty now. Its probably not a hardware issue since it does react to light levels, I need to calibrate the light sensor but can't find anywhere how to do that.

PS - Bios and updates are up to date.

Light sensors don't usually have software, they usually contain all the logic within themselves and it's open to the OS to interpret it. If you were on Linux you might be able to hack together something.... but as far as I'm aware there's not a Windows program that reads a light sensor and lets you set your own custom level in response. I'll keep looking though... I did find some promising things in Windows 11 regarding reading that sensor using some C# code.. maybe I can hack together something :D I don't promise anything though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom